Elevate your daily routines by stepping out of your comfort zone. Try these ideas to cultivate your sense of awe.
Opportunities for wonder are right in front of you. The world is full of beauty and majesty. Seeing something or someone you admire can motivate you to aim higher. It can help to reconnect us with our sense of purpose and meaning, and can inspire us to live our lives more fully and authentically.
Take advantage of these methods to discover inspiration:
- Listening to music. Music can evoke powerful emotions, and can be a great source of inspiration for writing, art, and other forms of self-expression.
- Appreciate art. Decorate your home with beautiful objects and listen to music. Visit art museums and express your creativity through painting or gardening.
- Play with kids. You may have lost some of your ability to feel awe as you grew up. Spending time with younger family and friends can help you recapture your enjoyment of falling snow and mud pies.
- Reading. Reading books, articles, and other written materials can expose you to new ideas and perspectives, and can spark new thoughts and ideas.
- Take a trip. Travel is another proven way to change your perspective and expand your thinking. Research destinations for your next vacation or a weekend outing. Order brochures, browse online, and talk with others about their recommendations.
- Go outside. Nature is a major source of inspiration close to home or far away. Watch the sun rise and set. Buy a bird feeder or volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary.
Using Habits to Spark Your Sense of Wonder
One way to do this is to try new things. For example, taking a different route to work, trying a new hobby, or visiting a new place can all be ways to add some novelty and variety to our daily lives. This can help to break up the monotony and to spark a sense of wonder and curiosity. Another way to spark wonder through habits is to practice mindfulness and being present. When we are present in the moment and fully engaged in what we are doing, we are more likely to notice the minor details and beauty around us. This can help to create a sense of awe and wonder.
Having a habit of gratitude can also help to spark wonder by reminding us of the things we are thankful for, and to appreciate the beauty and wonder in the world. It's also important to note that these habits don't have to be grand, big, or time-consuming. Sometimes, small things like taking a few minutes to appreciate the sunset, or listening to the birds singing, can be enough to bring back the sense of wonder.
Habits can spark wonder, try these strategies:
- Mindfulness and meditation. Practicing mindfulness and meditation can help you focus your mind and to be more present in the moment, which can be a great way to tap into your inner creativity and inspiration.
- Work out. Regular exercise can help you stay active as you age. Maintain your mental and physical strength and fitness.
- Savor your food. Healthy eating is one way of honoring how much your body does for you. Sit down and chew your food slowly. Prepare your own meals and snacks using delicious whole foods.
- Help others. Thinking about others reduces anxiety and depression. Practice random acts of kindness and find a career that enables you to have a positive impact.
- Focus on teamwork. Wonder makes you want to collaborate with others, so you can accomplish more. Celebrate diversity and build trust. Set clear goals and work on your communication skills.
- Try new things. Novelty promotes feelings of awe and helps you to stay engaged. Mingle at parties and chat with strangers. Take courses online. Ride your bike instead of driving to the office.
- Keep a journal. It’s easy for your sense of wonder to get buried under daily concerns. A journal could help you notice and remember the amazing moments that happen each day.
Share/Comment & Subscribe
I hope you enjoyed this article. Please leave a comment or share it to help someone else through their journey with change. Is it time for you to pivot? Change can be difficult, but you don't have to walk that path alone.
Get your 7-day journal workbook when you subscribe to our monthly newsletter - "Embracing Change - Pivoting with Purpose." Each newsletter brings affirmations, helpful tips, tools, & resources, & subscriber-only content.