Tips to make it part of your daily routine.
Want to know the key to being successful with journaling? Do it long-term.
Long-term journaling gives you more insight into your life because you’re able to look at the past, and present to get answers in your life. But first, you have to do it, and make it a daily habit. Here are nine tips to help make journaling part of your daily routine.
1. Make It Easy – Don’t make it a huge deal, and it’ll be simpler to get done. For example, it’s easier to use a notebook and paper than a computer for most people. You can have the book in your bag or on your bedside table or wherever you plan to write in it.
2. Choose a Time That Works – The best times to do it are early morning, first thing, or the last thing before you go to bed. However, that might not work for some people. If you know a better time, do it. For example, some people like journaling while on lunch at work or in the park. It’s up to you.
3. Get a Drink and Eat a Snack – You don’t want to have any excuses or extraneous thoughts while you’re writing in your journal. Make sure you’re fed and hydrated.
4. Create a Comfortable and Assessable Space – It’s easier to get into your thoughts if you’re comfortable and not thinking about how bad your tailbone hurts or your wrist hurts. Some people like using a desk, some a comfy easy chair, others their bed.
5. Combine It with Something Else You Enjoy Doing – If you enjoy cleaning the house, then reading in your clean house with the windows open and the breeze flowing in, why not journal at that moment? If it’s a daily thing, add journaling to it, and it’ll create a habit fast.
6. Add Some Relaxing Music to Set the Mood – Now it’s true that some people prefer silence, so that’s fine if you do. But consider trying some music that doesn’t have words and that is relaxing, to help you gather your thoughts and say calm and focused.
7. Use a Particular Type of Journal – For some people, using a style of journaling like bullet journaling, prayer journaling, project journaling, and more, works better since it defines some rules for entry.
8. Consider Using Journaling Prompts – You can also find journaling prompts online for any type of journal you want to use.
9. Reward Yourself – When you have been diligent for a month writing in your journal, take some time to read what you wrote, then reward yourself for doing it. You might buy some colored pens or some scrapbooking materials so you can add some definition and interest to your journal.
To truly experience the full benefits of journaling, it needs to be done most days, which is why you need to find a way to incorporate journaling into your everyday life. The best way to accomplish this is to make it easy and turn it into a habit.
Let me recommend two other articles on the subject of journaling:
Reaping the Benefits of a Gratitude Journal
Ten Types of Journals You Can Create
Also, if you have not already, you can download a free goals & gratitude journal page.
I would love to hear your feedback on this article. You can pay it forward by sharing to help others through their journey with change.
Is it time for you to pivot? Change is difficult, but remember, you don't have to walk that path alone.
Subscribe to the Embracing Change newsletter to get inspired and take action towards becoming a better you.
10 thoughts on “The Journaling Habit”
Good tips and a great idea to write down a few thought daily:)
Thank you Mihaela,
Very happy that you found these ideas useful.
I congratulate, this brilliant idea is necessary just by the way
May I just say what a comfort to discover somebody who truly
knows what they are discussing online. You
certainly understand how to bring an issue to light and make it important.
More and more people must check this out and understand this side of the story.
I was surprised that you are not more popular given that you most certainly possess the gift.
Thank you. I hope that you find more of that is useful.
Great information. Lucky me I ran across your website by chance (stumbleupon).
I have saved it for later!
Cool + for the post
thank you very much
thanks, interesting read